SPRC is the nation’s only federally supported resource center devoted to advancing the National Strategy for Suicide Prevention. We provide technical assistance, training, and materials to increase the knowledge and expertise of suicide prevention practitioners and other professionals serving people at risk for suicide. We also promote collaboration among a variety of organizations that play a role in developing the field of suicide prevention.
Who We Serve
SPRC serves individuals, groups, and organizations that play important roles in suicide prevention.
- Suicide prevention grantees: Garrett Lee Smith Suicide Prevention Grantees funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) to support suicide prevention work in Campus, State, and Tribal communities.
- State suicide prevention coordinators and initiatives: individuals and groups in the state with the lead for statewide SP.
- College and university staff involved with suicide prevention efforts on campus.
- American Indian/ Alaska Native communities: Individuals working with native populations to support suicide prevention and mental health promotion.
- Health and behavioral health care providers who play a role in identifying and helping individuals at risk of suicide.
- Professionals providing social services in their community and organizations who can help reduce suicide rates among the populations they serve.
- Members of the National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention, the public-private partnership dedicated to advancing the National Strategy for Suicide Prevention.
We also work with researchers, policymakers, public health professionals, suicide loss survivors, mental health consumer groups, and national and federal agencies and organizations
The Services and Resources We Provide
- Technical assistance:
- Help and tools for state, tribal, community, and campus suicide prevention organizations and coalitions, including recipients of Garrett Lee Smith youth suicide prevention grants
- Training institute:
- Face–to–face and online workshops and webinars on suicide prevention
- Toolkits, guides, research summaries, and information sheets on a variety of suicide prevention topics
- Organizational support for the National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention:
- Public–private partnership to advance the National Strategy for Suicide Prevention
- Partnership building:
- Bringing together health and mental health providers to strengthen their capacity to prevent suicide among their patients and clients
- Information and a variety of tools and resources on suicide prevention, including products tailored for specific populations, at http://www.sprc.org
- E-newsletter and social media:
- News, funding and research updates, and announcements in our e–mail newsletter The Weekly Spark, and presence on Facebook and Twitter
- Extensive online collection of manuals, reports, and articles on suicide prevention
- Best Practices Registry:
- Registry of best practices in suicide prevention co-produced with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
SPRC is funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service’s Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) under grant no. 5U79SM059945-02 and is located at Education Development Center, Inc.